The best known national firm in Clarinda Iowa for many decades was Berry's Seed Company, a mail order farm seed distribution business founded in 1885 in Clarinda by A. A. Berry. Berry's Seed Company diversified into retail stores in the 1950s, but the stores were sold off over the following decade and today the company, known as Berry's Garden Center, operates from its one remaining retail outlet in Danville, Illinois. - Reference: Clarinda, Iowa - Wikipedia
The Danville store was one of 3 in the state of Illinois and in the early 1960's, was sold to Ralph Dubois. At that time the name was changed to Berry's Farm and Home Store. A fire in 1975 destroyed the building and brought about a time of change for the company.
In 1976, Berry's Garden Center, Inc. was formed, a combined venture of Berry's Farm and Home Store and Lakeview Nursery and Landscape Service, owned by Terry and Steve Light. Irrigation services were added in 1977, Purina Chow was dropped in 1979, power equipment eliminated in 1981, and a full service flower shop was added in 1999.
A Brief History of Berry's Garden Center, Inc.
Copyright(c) 2019 Berry's Garden Center. All rights reserved.
Click here to E-Mail Webmaster with comments about this site.